robot prepares for students return
AI Europe Insights

Embracing Robotisation and AI Is the Next Step in Effective Data Utilisation Finds Visma | Onguard

Visma | Onguard has found in its annual Fintech Barometer, that there has been a 15 per cent increase in the use or development of Robotic Process Automation (RPA)/robotisation. This brings the total number of organisations up from 46 per cent to 61 per cent in 2021. 

This rise in RPA adoption coincides with the increased use of Intelligent Automation (IA) tools, which expands on RPA functionality with supporting technology solutions such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML). Significantly, almost half (47 per cent) of respondents identified AI as the biggest trend to impact the sector, up from 36 per cent in 2020 and 29 per cent in 2019. Not only that, but AI also came out on top in terms of its perceived impact on the order-to-cash process, up from 36 per cent in 2020 to 40 per cent in 2021.

IA technology itself has seen wider uptake among businesses, with 53 per cent of respondents in the survey having reported the use of IA tools within their organisation. Much of this trend is likely to have been driven by the need for financial organisations to harness data-driven insights and use them to both inform decision making and define business strategy. This is reflected in the fact that almost two-thirds (65 per cent) of organisations stated that they were either a fully data-driven organisation or that data supports their processes.

In terms of the wide-reaching impact of data, big data was also identified by 44 per cent of respondents as one of the top three trends to impact the financial sector, representing an increase from 36 per cent in 2020. As the importance of data becomes more widely known to the financial sector, it plays a prominent role in shaping strategy for more businesses. Only 8 per cent of organisations reported that they were not hoping to become fully data-driven at some point in the future, a decrease of 5 per cent from 2020 (13 per cent).

“Many financial businesses are beginning to embrace the concepts of RPA and IA, even if they’re yet to fully utilise it in their operations. Much of this uptake is due to data now driving processes and technology solutions, with big data among the top trends in the industry. As financial professionals better understand how to apply data, we can continue to expect to see increased uptake of new emerging solutions,” said Adriaan Kom, CCO at Visma | Onguard.


  • Francis is a journalist and our lead LatAm correspondent, with a BA in Classical Civilization, he has a specialist interest in North and South America.

Related posts

Santander CIB Migrates to Digital Banking Platform Gravity, to Benefit From Cloud Tech

The Fintech Times

Why European High Street Partnerships Are Essential for the Future of the Economy

Hazel Davis

Artesian Solutions and Baringa Partners COVID-19 Relationship Banking Exclusive

Mark Walker