In September 2022, Zopa Bank and ClearScore created the 2025 Fintech Pledge to drive 10 million UK consumer actions that build up their financial resilience by 2025. Twenty-four months ahead of schedule, the Pledge has already hit its 10 millionth action.
The Pledge has achieved this by incentivising cross-industry collaboration and by connecting consumers to financial technology platforms. Platforms that make savings work harder, improve credit scores, consolidate debt, and lower utility bills and household outgoing costs.
Building on the coalition’s success, founding members have decided to extend the Pledge’s goal from 10 to 25 million actions. This has been done to better deal with the persisting, above-target inflation. At an average of one action per person, its new goal represents approximately 50 per cent of the UK adult population taking a positive step towards improved financial resilience.
The Pledge has also introduced a new ‘Benefits’ pillar to help consumers make the most of the £18.7billion income-related benefits and social tariffs that go unclaimed each year.
Jaidev Janardana, CEO of Zopa Bank said: “We’re thrilled with the progress of the 2025 Fintech Pledge to date, leading us to stretch our actions target so soon. Our success further emphasises that fintech businesses can achieve so much more when working together. Especially as they look to understand and champion the real needs of UK consumers and to help them at such a critical time.”
Justin Basini, CEO and co-founder of The ClearScore Group said: “It’s been incredibly rewarding to see the progress we’ve made with the 2025 Fintech Pledge, particularly with the way we’ve been able to support The Money Charity alongside our actions target. Our key focus going into 2024 is all about driving further collaboration and identifying these new Pledge leaders that will drive even more impact until the end of the campaign in 2025”.
Important achievements to date
- The coalition has amassed 50 members with a combined customer base of over 25 million.
- It has achieved more than 10 million actions that improve financial resilience
- Some 30% of its members are based outside London
- The Money Charity is delivering a multi-year programme of workshops that markedly increases the financial capability of those who need it most, from 45 to 82 per cent after completing the training
- The content hub Master My Money and the Pledge’s TikTok campaign (@mastermymoney)
are helping millions of consumers better understand and manage their money
- A team of 90 Zopa Bank and Google Cloud engineers recently joined forces to build solutions that improve consumers’ financial resilience using Generative AI and Large Language Models
- The Pledge earned its first industry accolade, winning Best Partnership and Collaboration Initiative 2023 at the Pay 360 Award
- ClearScore and fellow Pledge member StepChange partnered to integrate the debt charity’s referral tool directly into ClearScore’s mobile app. In the partnership’s first year, over 8,000 ClearScore users engaged with the tool. Forty-five per cent were recommended debt advice to help them find solutions to their debt problem.