The new Bounce Back Loans Scheme #BBLS opens for smallest UK Businesses, lenders under scheme can provide loans of up to £50k over six years. The First 12 months of interest is paid by government, then 2.5% pa interest. The repayments are deferred for 12 months and a simple, standardised application form has been promised to speed up process.
- Will this actually be possible for the high street lenders?
- Will the micro businesses that really need the support get them?
- Or will fraudsters cash in on reduced checks?
Looking forward to hearing your comments and sharing the industry views throughout the day.
Following the Chancellor of the Exchequer’s announcement on 27 April, the Bounce Back Loans Scheme opens for applications from today.
Delivered by lenders accredited by the British Business Bank for this scheme, Bounce Back Loans target small and micro businesses in all sectors, providing loans from £2k up to 25% of the business’ turnover with a maximum loan of £50k.
Providing lenders with a 100% government-backed guarantee and standardising the application form is expected to lead to a faster process with many loans becoming available within days.
The Bounce Back Loans Scheme enables businesses to obtain a six-year term loan at a government set interest rate of 2.5% a year. The government will cover interest payable in the first year.
- Up to £50,000 loan: Loans will be from £2,000 up to 25% of a business’ turnover or £50,000, whichever is lower.
- 100% guarantee: The scheme provides the lender with a government-backed, full guarantee (100%) against the outstanding facility balance, both capital and interest. The borrower always remains 100% liable for the debt
- Interest rate: The government has set the interest rate for this facility at 2.5% per annum, meaning businesses will all benefit from the same, low rate of interest.
- Interest paid by government for 12 months: The government will make a Business Interruption Payment to the lenders to cover the first 12 months of interest payable, so businesses will benefit from no upfront costs.
- No principal repayments for first 12 months: Borrowers will not have to begin principal repayments for the first 12 months, thereafter capital will be repaid on a straight line basis.
- No guarantee fee for businesses or lenders to access the scheme
- Finance terms: The length of the loan is for six years but early repayment is allowed, without early repayment fees.
- No personal guarantees: No personal guarantees are allowed, and no recovery action can be taken over a principal private residence or principal private vehicle.
Businesses from all sectors can apply for a facility. The business must self-certify to its lender the following:
- Confirm it is UK-based in its business activity, and established by 1 March 2020
- Confirm it has been adversely impacted by the Coronavirus (Covid-19)
- Confirm it is not currently using a government-backed Coronavirus loan scheme (unless using BBLS to refinance a whole facility)
- Confirm it is not in bankruptcy, liquidation or undergoing debt restructuring
How to apply
Businesses should check the British Business Bank website to find out which lenders provide Bounce Back Loans.
Businesses will be required to fill in a short online application form on their lender’s website, which self-certifies whether they are eligible for a Bounce Back Loan facility. Eligible companies will be subject to standard customer fraud, Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Know Your Customer (KYC) checks. Some State aid restrictions may apply to applications.
 Credit institutions (falling within the remit of the Bank Recovery and Resolution Directive), public sector bodies, a state -funded primary or secondary schools and insurance companies are not eligible to apply and subject to State-Aid restrictions.
 Credit institutions (falling within the remit of the Bank Recovery and Resolution Directive), public sector bodies, a state -funded primary or secondary schools and insurance companies are not eligible to apply.