ACI Wallet Hub
Europe Paytech Trending

JCB and Worldpay from FIS Look to Enable Contactless Payments for UK Merchants

JCB International Co has extended its collaboration with global financial technology leader FIS and its merchant solutions business, Worldpay from FIS, to enable ‘JCB Contactless’ for its UK merchants – becoming the largest JCB contactless deployment in the UK to date.

Currently, almost 20 per cent of Worldpay from FIS Point-of-Sale (POS) systems in the UK are now equipped to accept JCB contactless payments. As part of JCB’s mid-term plan, the next stage will see JCB Contactless enabled across the remaining 80 per cent of Worldpay terminals across the UK – with a full rollout expected by the end of 2024.

The recently published Worldpay from FIS Global Payments Report found cash use continues to decline at POS, with contactless payments in the form of digital wallets and contactless cards also on the rise.

In the UK, cards and digital wallets combined accounted for 86 per cent of POS spending. This trend is causing an increasing number of merchants in the UK to prepare themselves for a cashless future, with comprehensive contactless payments emerging as a critical function.

Enabling JCB Contactless aims to help Worldpay meet the increased demand for comprehensive contactless acceptance amongst its merchants.

Worldpay’s UK merchants which enable JCB Contactless will be able to further tap into the sales opportunities of JCB’s 154 million cardmember community. The payment process for cardmembers, combined with the higher average transaction value of contactless, could also help merchants increase their sales opportunities.

Accelerating merchant growth
Ray Shinzawa, Managing Director, JCB International (Europe) Ltd, Worldpay FIS JCB
Ray Shinzawa, managing director, JCB International Europe

Ray Shinzawa, managing director for JCB International (Europe) Ltd, said: “We look forward to continuing to work together in enabling JCB Contactless across the entire Worldpay POS ecosystem.”

JCB Contactless is the firm’s contactless payment system that enables customers to shop by simply holding their JCB Card or JCB-card-enabled smartphone or other devices over the store terminal.

JCB Contactless is also based on the global chip standard ‘EMV(R),’ offering a high level of security.

Nick Fisher, UK general manager at JCB International (Europe) Ltd, also explained: “By offering a greater variety of contactless options to their merchants, Worldpay’s merchants will benefit from an enhanced customer experience.

“The payment preferences of consumers across the region are changing rapidly, and JCB is proud to be working with leaders like Worldpay to enable the future of payments.”

Chris Wood, general manager for SMB International, Worldpay Merchant Solutions, FIS, said: “With our research showing consumers are switching to contactless payments, it’s crucial we provide them with the ability to pay with their preferred payment method whenever and wherever they want. Our collaboration with JCB will enable this, simplifying our merchants’ payments acceptance, and accelerating growth.”

Author

Related posts

Juggle’s Ten Top Tips for Start-Ups

Polly Jean Harrison

Sinapore’s PaaS Fintech iLex Launches in EMEA With London Office

The Fintech Times

Sift Reveals the True Cost of Chargeback Disputes and ‘Friendly Fraud’

Tyler Pathe